Under consideration ChatGPT Autoresponder: only reply to quotes from OP

Mar 6, 2023
I find the chatGPT bot is great, and it's good that it can respond to quotes but some members are just jumping on a reply (in a serious thread) wanting to bait the bot which, admittedly, can be fun but depends on context.

So I'd like to see an option (for more serious threads) that only the OP can quote and get further responses from the bot.

Same could maybe apply if there becomes a feature whereby the bot replies to mentions

Reactions: André, rdn and 021
Mar 5, 2023
We're worried about this, but we're optimist (haven't enabled/tested it yet) that we can setup expectations around proper-usage early on, and then any outliers / rule-breakers will be moderated by our team.

... similar to what we do when humans break other rules while posting.

Have your members been instructed on how to properly use it, and warned what will happen if they abuse it (with actual consequences)?

Mar 6, 2023
Have your members been instructed on how to properly use it, and warned what will happen if they abuse it (with actual consequences)?
No because we are all experimenting. I would not know how to phrase a warning about what is abuse. I would rather not have it than end up with more rules and discipline regarding things that many people would not understand the reasons for when they think they are just having a bit of fun or banter.

We admins know that a balanced amount of fun is not want, but if it gets too much a lot of people do get put off and certainly can be bad for SEO.

But it's not easy to make rules that try to define what is too much.

hence the request for this option which I think will go a long way to keeping it useful.

If it's an option then it can be applied in the serious info forums, and made more open as a free-for-all in other OT forums to let people have a bit of fun.

Otherwise I can imagine members feeling alienated and losing interest if it gets too much.

Mar 5, 2023
But it's not easy to make rules that try to define what is too much.
Good point.

So I'd like to see an option (for more serious threads) that only the OP can quote and get further responses from the bot.
The more I think about this, the more I understand and could see it being valuable. Mostly I'm reflecting on how we try to have our OP's be the ones that determine when a thread is going "off topic" or not. If a different member (not OP) takes the thread off-topic and the OP doesn't like it, and requests support, we'll step in.

I guess your suggestion is a pre-emptive request for the bots (from user's actions) causing problems. So, the option would be default "allow", but the OP could toggle it on/off (during creation and edit) to stop bots from being tagged?

Definitely a tricky situation!

Mar 6, 2023
I guess your suggestion is a pre-emptive request for the bots (from user's actions) causing problems. So, the option would be default "allow", but the OP could toggle it on/off (during creation and edit) to stop bots from being tagged?
Yes. Because (understandably) some users like to play with it ( “bait the bot”). And you can do that by treating it like a person so rules would be difficult.

I’d always want options to be off by default